Friday, June 10, 2011

Here we go!

It has been 6 months since my last touch up, and from what I hear this one of the hardest times in transitioning. I have about 3 inches of new growth, and am trying to do this without "the big chop". I haven't seen my natural hair texture since before I was in high school, and even then my hair was kept braided or ponytailed so I'm not sure I'm going to like what I see when this is over.
I really consciously decided to transition after a conversation at a party. I had just gotten my hair done and it was awesome(with a few little pieces in the back to add length), and I was getting compliments on it left and right. My stylist was there, and I commented that I don't even wash my own hair anymore because it takes so long and is so much work. At the time I said it without a second thought, but later I really thought about it. I didn't even have shampoo at my house for emergencies, and I really used to be a product junkie. I had watched the documentary by Chris Rock Good Hair last year, and it got me thinking. I was really addicted to the creamy crack, and actually scared of trying to manage my own natural hair! So I have laid off of the relaxers, but still get my hair done(straightened) every two weeks. It's summer now, and hot as blazes! Getting my hair straightened is not really practical, especially with 2 kids that need to be outside for hours a day for all of our sanity. So I am left with the option to try to figure out styles I can do on my own that also last more than a couple of days. I anticipate this to be a journey, and the purpose of this blog is to document the adventure and hopefully help/educate/inspire someone else.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your transition!!! Natural hair rocks :) It is a journey, but a good one.

    Thanks for visiting/following my blog!! Following back!

    ReplyDelete